Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anonymous-A.S

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 31, 2022
My APL engineer-buddy tells me the pill/punch hole will indeed be hidden via software, I’ve been shown a glimpse of what we’re getting and I’ve tried my best to re create what I know.

There will be a elongated pill shape,
In between the camera and sensor housing the display will show notification dots (similar to Mac’s LED camera status indicator) for things like active microphone (orange), active camera (green), etc.

The camera app will also have a slight rearrangement, not much info on that but I did the best I could to show what it’ll be like.

Attachments

• FAFAC2AB-802F-4DFD-8B67-8E470701D40B.jpeg
    FAFAC2AB-802F-4DFD-8B67-8E470701D40B.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 822
Last edited:

Toregev

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2021
That’s a good question— where will the speaker cutout be?
The speaker cutout will most likely be where it is on the iPhone 12 and 13, in the top edge of the phone. Here is the picture from Apple's tech specs page for the 13. You can see where the ear speaker is on the top edge. It's how on the 12 and 13 they made the notch narrower.

Attachments

• C9DE4F64-9823-4B22-835F-96C1E9943874.jpeg
    C9DE4F64-9823-4B22-835F-96C1E9943874.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 223

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
My APL engineer-buddy tells me the pill/punch hole will indeed be hidden via software, I’ve been shown a glimpse of what we’re getting and I’ve tried my best to re create what I know.

In between the camera and sensor housing the display will show notification dots (similar to Mac’s LED camera status indicator) for things like active microphone (orange), active camera (green), etc.

The camera app will also have a slight rearrangement, not much info on that but I did the best I could to show what it’ll be like.
i can confirm this..i have the iphone 14 thanks to a buddy engineer

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Notification dots.. I mean why not, at least they will use the area between the cutouts in some way. I’d not be surprised for the pill shape, they’re probably trying to not make it look like any other Android phone while giving you no option to make so- the Apple way.

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
Fantastic. NOW it looks unlike any other phone out there. Never seen one quite like this. And I am constantly looking. I challenge anyone to show us another phone (with link to where it can be bought) that looks like this WITH bezels nearly as thin or thinner.

The software blackout is brilliant, and smacks of Apple.

Now smack me with that price-jump, keep it at 128gb, and that will provide the nice Apple 1-2 ooh-ouch that I’m used to!

_karrol

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Wien, Österreich
The speaker cutout will most likely be where it is on the iPhone 12 and 13, in the top edge of the phone. Here is the picture from Apple's tech specs page for the 13. You can see where the ear speaker is on the top edge. It's how on the 12 and 13 they made the notch narrower.
For the sake of correctness - that was only the case of the 13, the 12 had the speaker within the notch and the notch itself still had the original size.

Funny how the sketchy rumour from a few days ago turned out to be true and how everyone was fooled into believing there will be an a i shaped cutout visible at all times. Seems Apple is getting better and better at either spreading false rumours or preventing leaks (remember how everyone believed the latest MBA was supposed to come in pastel colors and with white bezels and keyboard? 😜)

Last edited:

1@@@

macrumors regular
May 1, 2022

I don't understand - how does what you show demonstrate the pill being hidden by software?

If you mean "any situation where there is available black space to drown the pill in, the pill disappears" - isn't that exactly how the notch gets "hidden"?

Reactions: jamesrick80

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
I don't understand - how does what you show demonstrate the pill being hidden by software?

If you mean "any situation where there is available black space to drown the pill in, the pill disappears" - isn't that exactly how the notch gets "hidden"?
It means that the two individual "pills" are bridged by a black region of OLED to create the illusion of a single cutout. In return this region will also be used for notification indicators, the green and orange dots that show when the camera and microphone are in use.

1@@@

macrumors regular
May 1, 2022
It means that the two individual "pills" are bridged by a black region of OLED to create the illusion of a single cutout. In return this region will also be used for notification indicators, the green and orange dots that show when the camera and microphone are in use.
Ok, thank you.

Toregev

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2021
For the sake of correctness - that was only the case of the13, the 12 had the speaker within the notch and the notch itself still had the
I stand corrected about the 12, thought when they did the flat edge models was when they moved the ear speaker, but it was indeed with the 13.

1@@@

macrumors regular
May 1, 2022
Ok, so another question that hopefully isn't as stupid as my last one.

Why not take this pill shape and... push it up against the very top of the frame?

Reactions: dustin_

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
Ok, so another question that hopefully isn't as stupid as my last one.

Why not take this pill shape and... push it up against the very top of the frame?

Because it might be placed for the future, when it can fully just be underneath a display, and they like that spot rather than tied to the top?

Reactions: War833

1@@@

macrumors regular
May 1, 2022
Because it might be placed for the future, when it can fully just be underneath a display, and they like that spot rather than tied to the top?
I guess it's not unheard of for apple to have a future-vestigial feature, like the U1 chip that's everywhere and largely unused... but this would be a very prominent example of that.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
For the sake of correctness - that was only the case of the13, the 12 had the speaker within the notch and the notch itself still had the original size.

Funny how the sketchy rumour from a few days ago turned tombe true and how everyone was fooled into believing there will be an a i shaped cutout visible at all times. Seems Apple is getting better and better at either spreading false rumorur or preventing leaks (remember how everyone believed the latest MBA was supposed to come in pastel colors and with white bezels and keyboard? 😜)
I mean to be fair, same thing happened with the MacBook notch.
Sketchy rumor comes out about five days before the event that it will have a notch.
No one believes it, not like Apple, they would never, etc.
Higher level leakers back it up.
It actually happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.