Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sharpimage

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2018
there were other advantages of remaining on iTunes 12.6 which is that you could always 'downgrade' an app if you didn't like an updated version. Did this many times. But being so far behind the current iTunes release was also causing issues such as when I had my phone replaced 12.6 would not let me restore from backup. So it might reluctantly be time for me to 'let it go'.

sfoguy

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2018
I'm the person who reported this issue to MacRumors.
With all due respect to your music concerns, may I ask that we please stick to the immediate topic at hand, which is iOS app management in iTunes on the Mac? Your tangent is not relevant. Maybe take it up on your own thread?
Thank you.

The apps are, I am saying about those kind of subs, are they? I checked, and they arent. The way the App Store works, we cant offer a version which has been updated only till you paid for it. We either offer an update or we dont.

Again, you missed the bigger picture? You dont seem to be an audience for Vox. The premium sub is more than a player, it has an unlimited music cloud storage service. The player itself is free. You CAN play lossless files for free, just cant store it on their cloud storage.

You clearly haven't even seen what Vox actually offers for free and sub. Please stop embarrassing yourself? Here is the website for goodness' sakes:

https://vox.rocks
[doublepost=1538125622][/doublepost]

Let me clear myself better. If software is given as a buy once updates forever, it may eventually run out of a steady stream of new users buying it. Software isnt just make once and it works forever. When iOS or macOS or whatever platform changes, we developers need to update the software even to keep it functional. Case in point, 32 bit apps, a lot of them stopped functioning not because they broke but Apple disallows 32 bit apps from working now on iOS. A developers has to go through the entire app and update it even if it means zero new features for the end user. Got it?

I personally like keeping software work for a long time. Am against the 'dump the thing if it no longer works' mentality. If we can recycle and repair why not? Same mentality makes people dump things even if they are functional but just a bit worn out and could have worked with minor repairs.

I get your point where you would like to be able to own software that you paid for. Well, because of platform updates they will stop working sooner or later. Good luck keeping them and complaining in the void then. (There are people who want free updates for old software, aplenty)

So as developers we try to reach some middle ground, best for everyone cases. Unfortunately we cant keep everyone happy.

So it's either paid updates, updates while you pay, or just pure subs. Neither of which will make everyone happy.

So next is keeping people addicted so they pay for stupid things like extra filters.

Frankly, just look at Vox again? They are offering unlimited music cloud storage (and other things) for just $4.99 a month. Now you will start thinking of it like a real service like Dropbox or iCloud? You probably pay more for them to get less storage. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4509968

Be3G

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007
Apple just removed the special iTunes version for Mac. I guess they're forcing people to use the iTunes without app support from now on. I won't be updating macOS Mojave for sure.

Well, they've sort-of removed it – as post #63 shows it's still downloadable from the direct URL. But my question anyway was that for those who had downloaded it and installed it prior to Mojave being released, does it actually work in Mojave, even though it's not possible to install it in the new OS? (Sometimes a software installer is incompatible with a new OS, but the software itself isn't.)

sfoguy

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2018
Have you tried this yourself? Do you know if iPhone X and XS will connect with this? I know my X connected before the Mojave debacle, but don't want to mess around if it's not fully functional.

Many thanks!

iTunes 12.6.5.3 on MacOS 10.14
1. Use AppDelete to delete iTunes
2. Download 12.6.5 https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/i...-B085-11E8-B6AB-C1D03409AD2A/iTunes12.6.5.dmg
3. Open the dmg file, use Pacifist to open Install iTunes.pkg and install iTunes
4. If you have opened iTunes 12.9, replace iTunes Library.itl with the last saved version from Previous iTunes Libraries
5. Enjoy iTunes with AppStore!

SummerSoFar

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2011
Have you tried this yourself? Do you know if iPhone X and XS will connect with this? I know my X connected before the Mojave debacle, but don't want to mess around if it's not fully functional.

Many thanks!

Thanks to bogdanw for the basis of how I got 12.6.5.3 re-installed.

You will need to first disable SIP, then sudo rm -rf iTunes.app (the 12.9 version), and then finally extract iTunes.app (only) from the 12.6 installer. AppDelete alone is not sufficient to remove iTunes.

Everything seems to work perfectly.

sfoguy

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2018
You and bogdanw seem to be on to the right path.

Would it be possible to please combine your methods into one clear path to remedy? I hesitate to guesstimate my way through it. I believe many others would appreciate the instructions. I'm adept, as long as I have a recipe to follow.

Thanks again.

Thanks to bogdanw for the basis of how I got 12.6.5.3 re-installed.

You will need to first disable SIP, then sudo rm -rf iTunes.app (the 12.9 version), and then finally extract iTunes.app (only) from the 12.6 installer. AppDelete alone is not sufficient to remove iTunes.

Everything seems to work perfectly.

Last edited:

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Work in progress: Apple script to delete iTunes and modify the iTunes.pkg from iTunes 12.6 dmg to allow installation on Mojave.
Code:
set question to display dialog "Delete iTtunes?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 1
set answer to button returned of question
if answer is equal to "Yes" then
    do shell script "rm -rf /Applications/iTunes.app" with administrator privileges
    display dialog "iTunes was deleted" buttons {"Ok"}
    set theDMG to choose file with prompt "Please select iTunes 12.6 dmg file:" of type {"dmg"}
    do shell script "hdiutil mount " & quoted form of POSIX path of theDMG
    do shell script "pkgutil --expand /Volumes/iTunes/Install\\ iTunes.pkg ~/tmp"
    do shell script "sed -i '' 's/18A1/14F2511/g' ~/tmp/Distribution"
    do shell script "sed -i '' 's/gt/lt/g' ~/tmp/Distribution"
    do shell script "pkgutil --flatten ~/tmp ~/Desktop/iTunes.pkg"
    do shell script "hdiutil unmount /Volumes/iTunes/"
    do shell script "rm -rf ~/tmp"
end if
if answer is equal to "No" then
    display dialog "iTunes was not deleted" buttons {"Ok"}
    return
end if

set question to display dialog "Install iTtunes?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 1
    do shell script "open ~/Desktop/iTunes.pkg"
    return
end if
    display dialog "Modified iTunes.pkg saved on desktop" buttons {"Ok"}
    return
end if
The package still displays an error message, but the installation continues.
I have SIP disabled and I can't test the script with SIP enabled.
Edit: Improved code with restriction bypassed, the modified pkg installs without error messages.

Last edited:

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
I think it was an awkward fit for iTunes to have to have that function, though, and wish they'd just spun device management out into a separate app for those who use it, instead of doing away with it altogether.

IMO, it might make sense to include it in the Mac OS App Store. Have it as a separate tab similar to how music and podcasts are separated. With the increased merging between iOS and Mac apps, it might work.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Easy it is still way to bloated. something like a dedicated app as you have on iOS would be nice.

This could also be a stepping stone to breath live into other apps and make them more useful. Take quick time, that could easily handle tv shows/movies, audiobooks in iBooks and make a standalone podcast portal. This will also make it better for the crossplatform experience as you could have iCloud sync to pick up where you left off on another device

The thing is that's just fragmentation for the sake of it, more apps for no real gain. I agree that Audiobooks should be in iBooks though - at it should all sync the way audiobooks/PDFs do in the cloud - or least gives us audiobook cloud support, that for me is the only thing missing in iTunes.

I don't use films or TV shows but the library organisation is nice if you do use those things - for me it's not bloated to have them there because they're on a separate tab. I only ever see music 95% of the time, and Podcasts 5% of the time when I wish to it (though I mainly use iPhone and Watch for that) - for me iTunes is just an extension of the Music app on the iPhone letting me do more advanced organisation and meta data tagging and run scripts.

sfoguy

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2018
Thanks for all this work. By your edits, there now seems to be a workable script? I'm not experienced with Apple Script, so is it something that can be formatted in a step-by-step format that anyone can follow?

Work in progress: Apple script to delete iTunes and modify the iTunes.pkg from iTunes 12.6 dmg to allow installation on Mojave.
Code:
set question to display dialog "Delete iTtunes?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 1
    set theDMG to choose file with prompt "Please select iTunes 12.6 dmg file:" of type {"dmg"}
end if
    return
end if

set question to display dialog "Install iTtunes?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 1
    return
end if
    return
end if
Edit: Improved code with restriction bypassed, the modified pkg installs without error messages.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Thanks for all this work. By your edits, there now seems to be a workable script? I'm not experienced with Apple Script, so is it something that can be formatted in a step-by-step format that anyone can follow?
It should work: just open Apple Script, copy-paste the code and press Run. It will ask for your password to delete iTunes, then ask you to select the iTunes 12.6 dmg and from that it will make a modified iTunes.pkg that can be installed on Mojave. The iTunes.pkg will be saved on your Desktop.
It might not even be necessary to delete iTunes first, but I can't confirm as I don't have a copy of the iTunes app from Mojave.

sfoguy

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2018
I've opened Script Editor, and copied and pasted the code.

Does the iTunes 12.6 dmg have to be in some particular place for the script to find it? I have it in the Downloads folder now.

It should work: just open Apple Script, copy-paste the code and press Run. It will ask for your password to delete iTunes, then ask you to select the iTunes 12.6 dmg and from that it will make a modified iTunes.pkg that can be installed on Mojave. The iTunes.pkg will be saved on your Desktop.
It might not even be necessary to delete iTunes first, but I can't confirm as I don't have a copy of the iTunes app from Mojave.
[doublepost=1538253519][/doublepost]Forgot to ask. Does this restore my iTunes library to the state before it was upgraded to 12.9? All music files intact? Is this handled by the Apple Script, or are there further steps?

Apologies for all the questions, and thanks for all your efforts.

TooDarkPark

Suspended
Nov 23, 2017
I have an i7 Mac Mini on High Sierra with an old iTunes version installed that still has the app store just to be able to install a few apps that are no longer available in the app store. my 8+ is on iOS 11.4.1 so iTunes doesn't complain.

I had to update the iTunes on my MBP when I got my 8+ because it said the iTunes version listed in the OP was outdated and couldn't be used with the iOS 11 version it shipped with.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I've opened Script Editor, and copied and pasted the code.
Does the iTunes 12.6 dmg have to be in some particular place for the script to find it? I have it in the Downloads folder now.
[doublepost=1538253519][/doublepost]Forgot to ask. Does this restore my iTunes library to the state before it was upgraded to 12.9? All music files intact? Is this handled by the Apple Script, or are there further steps?
Apologies for all the questions, and thanks for all your efforts.
The script asks you to "Please select iTunes 12.6 dmg file"
No, it doesn't restore your iTunes library. You should follow the previous step 4. If you have opened iTunes 12.9, replace iTunes Library.itl with the last saved version from Previous iTunes Libraries
[doublepost=1538278250][/doublepost]
I'm getting a Script Error when I run the script. It lists various operations and says "operation not permitted" after them
SIP must be disabled first. There is no way around this.
Please don't disable SIP and try this modified version of the script
Code:
display dialog "Please select iTunes 12.6 dmg file" buttons {"Ok"}

return
end if
    return
end if
It doesn't delete iTunes and creates a modified iTunes.pkg that could install over iTunes 12.9.

brian017

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
Kilkenny, Ireland
I left SIP enabled and ran the modified script; when it went to install 12.6.5 it alerted me it may be incompatible with my version of osx, I clicked 'Continue anyway' after it went through the installation process it said the installation had failed and to contact the administrator

Reactions: Hawaiian Starman

Hawaiian Starman

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2001
Somerset West, South Africa
The primary reason I use the 12.6.x version of iTunes is bandwidth and cost. More so, I did not realize iTunes 12.6.x would not be compatible with OS X Mojave. Thanks Apple.

I don't have unlimited data on my internet or cellular plans. As such, makes no sense to chew up data allowance by downloading the same IOS app update on each device I own. Much easier and much more cost effective to do it once on my computer via iTunes, then sync to each device. Why is this so hard for Apple to understand? One solution: create a standalone OS X app a la the App Store specific for IOS apps that allow for app synching to devices.

Hawaiian Starman

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2001
Somerset West, South Africa
Code:
end if
    return
end if

return
end if
    return
end if

Thank you for your efforts with the Script. Appreciate it!

After disabling SIP and restarting the computer, the above script worked like a charm. iTunes 12.6.5 now installed and running on Mojave. I sure hope Apple soon comes out with a more direct process to eliminate this creative workaround.

And to remind: I am on limited data plans for both cellular and internet (live in South Africa). Downloading app upgrades to each device is time consuming and costly. Much better solution to download to one source (iTunes), then sync to the various devices. No issue if Apple wants to peal away the IOS App Store from iTunes. But please create an IOS App Store app for syncing these things to various IOS devices, or perhaps add another layer to the current Mojave App Store.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I left SIP enabled and ran the modified script; when it went to install 12.6.5 it alerted me it may be incompatible with my version of osx, I clicked 'Continue anyway' after it went through the installation process it said the installation had failed and to contact the administrator
I'm sorry, I can't help with SIP enabled as I have old programs that required it disabled.
With SIP disdabled, I have just installed the modified iTunes.pkg without deleting iTunes 12.9 on a new Mojave instalation. With the installed version (12.6.5.3) I have succesfully made a back-up of an iPhone X and restored it to a brand new iPhone XS Max.
A few ideas:
1. Disable SIP, install iTunes 12.6, enable SIP
2. Extract iTunes 12.6 with Pacifist to a different location than Applications folder, it should run from anywhere.

Reactions: Tech Copywriter

sfoguy

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2018
I'm most happy to say that this worked. iTunes 12.6.5 restored, along with Library. Everything is back to normal, not 12.9.

Many many many thanks to bogdanw for his patient efforts.

A couple of pointers:

To Disable/Enable SIP, I used the following instructions from OSXDaily:

http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/05/disable-rootless-system-integrity-protection-mac-os-x/

http://osxdaily.com/2018/08/09/how-enable-sip-system-integrity-protection-mac/

And just to be safe, I did go into a TimeMachine backup to restore the iTunes library prior to the Mojave debacle:

Home>Music>iTunes>iTunesLibrary.itl

Thank you for your efforts with the Script. Appreciate it!

After disabling SIP and restarting the computer, the above script worked like a charm. iTunes 12.6.5 now installed and running on Mojave. I sure hope Apple soon comes out with a more direct process to eliminate this creative workaround.

And to remind: I am on limited data plans for both cellular and internet (live in South Africa). Downloading app upgrades to each device is time consuming and costly. Much better solution to download to one source (iTunes), then sync to the various devices. No issue if Apple wants to peal away the IOS App Store from iTunes. But please create an IOS App Store app for syncing these things to various IOS devices, or perhaps add another layer to the current Mojave App Store.

saytheenay

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2012
Another option is iMazing. You can use it to manage and update apps (in addition to a lot of other features) and iTunes to manage media.

It's not free, but it is a solution if you need to be on iTunes 12.9 for some reason.

I am going to try bogdanw's solution since all my iDevices are locked on iOS 10.3.3.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

Tech Copywriter

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2018
Essex, UK
I'm sorry, I can't help with SIP enabled as I have old programs that required it disabled.
With SIP disdabled, I have just installed the modified iTunes.pkg without deleting iTunes 12.9 on a new Mojave instalation. With the installed version (12.6.5.3) I have succesfully made a back-up of an iPhone X and restored it to a brand new iPhone XS Max.
A few ideas:
1. Disable SIP, install iTunes 12.6, enable SIP
2. Extract iTunes 12.6 with Pacifist to a different location than Applications folder, it should run from anywhere.

I followed option 1 and the install has completed perfectly. Thanks for the script bogdanw - it made everything so easy. Great job.

Reactions: bogdanw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.